Friday, July 10, 2015

Reiki Newsletter- July 2015

July 2015 Newsletter

Another Retreat is over and it gets better and better. You’ve heard me enough to share my experiences, this time I wanted to share impressions of 3 of my friends, Maria, Andrew and Denyce. One thing they all say in common: Transformation, laughter, practice, expansion, compassion.

Here enjoy reading:

 “When I pack my bags for the IHR retreat I pack the usual things but I also pack my daily practice, my presence, and a few water balloons. Retreats with Frans are incredibly life changing, intensely deep and full of laughter! Frans has a way of teaching that is so lighthearted and clear that it cuts away to the heart of your being.
Retreats are about transformation and every year I meet up with these special souls, my Reiki family to to go deeper, to blossom, be renewed and transform. Each time we meet up we are more expanded, joyful and compassionate. We are constantly transforming. Our attachments and judgements keep falling away and in its place is clarity, stillness and the infinite. We are experiencing our true selves and from this space we are inspired to continue to practice daily so we can be more human in each moment.
Overflowing gratitude for Frans and our Reiki community. The support and guidance from each person was a powerful experience. As a wise woman once said, "You are a blessing, You are a blessing, and you are a blessing."
Much love,
Maria Kammerer

A Direct Experience - Cincinnati Reiki Retreat 2015
by Andrew Andres.
Lightning never harms the clouds. 
Only when you cling or resist do you provide a target to strike. 
Be like space; become formless and invincible.
For the last four years (although it seems much longer), I’ve been fortunate enough to learn/practice/train in Usui Reiki Ryoho via IHReiki’s Frans Stiene in Cincinnati, Ohio. It all started with a chance encounter with the Reiki Sourcebook and reiki.net.au (nowihreiki.com). At that time, I was already practicing and teaching Reiki for a few years, trained in Usui Shiki Ryoho at a number of different venues (four or five depending how you count).
Despite all that training, I still wanted a bit more “clarity” about of this seemingly magical healing practice; credibility and legitimacy was/still is important. Maybe I could find what I was looking for in “Traditional Reiki”?
I’d heard of “Traditional Reiki” before, and thoroughly read Maureen Kelly’s book on “Reiki and the Healing Buddha”. I was very surprised and interested in that book and briefly considered visiting the author in Australia. I thought if I wanted to train in “traditional Reiki” I’d have to save money and go to Japan or Australia or something. Unfortunately, Ms. Kelly had passed on before I had the chance. Also, such a trip just wasn’t possible at that time in my life.
In the meanwhile, I reverted back to my usual approach of reading books and soaking up whatever info I could. One day, when may random Reiki search, I happened upon a few pages of the Reiki sourcebook via Google Books. Eventually I found The Reiki Sourcebook, (Revised edition) on Amazon and summarily read the text from cover to cover in a matter of days. The “ah-ha” moments and resultant questions / curiosity were innumerable. I finally had words and concepts for experiences I’d had but didn’t know what to make of (for example, stumbling upon a Gassho meditation version of seishin toitsu). Near the end of the book I found the authors had a website; reiki.net.au (now ihreiki.com). After reading a few pages on the old IHReiki site, I realized something was different about it all; something more realistic, less “woo-woo” and yet still Reiki all the same.
Later, I realized that one of the authors teaches around the world, including the US. My interest and excitement was definitely piqued. Initially, I reached out to the Chicago organizer looking to attend one of the classes there. For reasons I’ve learned better than to question, that class didn’t work out. Thankfully, that organizer pointed me south toward Cincinnati. In a way, it was all uphill and downhill from there. I’d never gone that far south in my life. All of the (endless Ohio) farmland was very foreign to me. I knew I’d definitely traveled south when I’d heard some of my classmates’ slight yet distinctive and charming Kentucky/Tennessee border accents.
After the first meeting (public talk by Frans Stiene) at the New Thought Unity Center, I felt something was quite different about the whole experience. These folks were normal - warm, welcoming, and…real? Honestly, after the previous 4-5 different Reiki seminars and practicing with some people, I’d come to expect the usual new-age-y stereotypes. While there were definitely a few adoringly eccentric personalities, I didn’t feel that same “weird factor”. Maybe the Borg fully assimilated me…? Anyhow, little did I know I’d be laughing, learning, practicing, growing and just Being with these people (my new family) for the next few years.
Fast forward to 4 years later 2015 and to my 5th time training/practicing Frans and the Cincinnati Reiki group; I’m still falling down the rabbit hole.
This year’s gathering was (as usual) like a family reunion; old faces, new faces, missing faces, life changes, etc. In a way, this sense of familiarity is what made this year’s event so special. It’s amazing how you can be apart from someone for a year and catch up like you’ve only been gone a week.
Speaking specifically about this year’s meditation retreat, I feel like I continually had a “confirmation” of sorts that my earnest practice is definitely having an effect. Embodying the practice (precepts, meditations, etc.) is a daily and very gradual shift. This shift is so subtle you may miss it. Thankfully we can see each other, help one another, and play as “mirrors” so to speak.
On a more practical note, I’ve finally learned how to let go, relax on the note taking, and to simply practice. This is a big shift from years ago when I believed the more notes the better. Subconsciously I believed there was some sort of “magic formula” and how you must transmit and practice exactly as shown. Basically I was a bit stiff. Thankfully Frans is well aware of this and knows how to shake things up (to say the least). Frans’ totally clear, light-hearted, and unique approach allows us to be both human with regular issues, yet learn how to grow beyond it. Nothing fake or spiritually stiff (overly pious) about it. Yet totally honest and rooted with honest compassion.
This perspective and understanding allows me to appreciate the value and place of experiential growth. Experience is a much stronger pointer to Being Truth than any note on paper can point to.
As this was a meditation retreat, we worked on all sorts of meditations /practices with a general emphasis on developing and/or growing with our kokoro (heart/mind). Examples included:
• Sitting meditations, moving meditation, sitting/moving meditations. 
• Partner practice, group practice, individual practice. 
• Hands-on healing, breathing, moving, chanting. 
• Love, laughter, and a bit of chocolate in-between.
Having approached so many practices left me a bit confused. Once again I slipped back toward previous thinking, trying to understand a formula or method to this madness. I think I asked the same question 3 different ways on 3 different days. By the end, only after giving up and not seeking the answer did the answer become apparent.
Though and by practicing with these various methods, we allowed a full range of flexibility in practice while mainlining a firmness in the development of the mind and body. The tools or methods are simply that, tools. The practice itself is the most important part.
By letting go, with no expectations, and just being, you invite the universe, radiate the universe, and simply are the universe. With no-mind, the mind can remember its truth; its original, limitless, bright nature. From here there is a dynamic stillness. A full emptiness. A healing beyond sickness and health.
A great example of this universal harmony / dichotomy was after the “formal” practice session during an outside chat. Suddenly, mid-conversation I noticed the universe in the trees.
Seeing fireflies light up the night’s trees
Like shining stars in the universe of me.
While I can get all airy-fairy about visions and write an inspirational poem, it was actually very simple. The trees were dark and the innumerable lighting-bugs in the trees looked like stars in a clear night sky.
Despite my cognition of this fact, the power symbology in this observation (universe on Earth) reaffirmed my appreciation for nature and confirmed the depth of the wisdom these practices offer. Being able to share, learn, grow and practice in a welcoming environment is very important and has helped me grow immensely. Understanding the value of such motivates me to share and provide practice environments for others who may wish to grow in similar ways.
Usually, near the end of these trips I feel a bit sad; we’ve been socially trained to (grasp) understand saying goodbye as a painful and difficult thing. However, this year I really didn’t have much of that. In one way, you could say we are never really apart. This may initially seem like whimsical thinking, but practice long enough and you’ll feel / see / know how real this is.
When you learn to let go of “you”, life is able to flow freely without restriction. When you learn to live fully and let go, the stress of change evaporates. Consciously knowing and experiencing the stream of life allows you to understand the preciousness of each moment life and how to give it its due respect.
Lightning never harms the clouds. 
Only when you cling or resist do you provide a target to strike. 
Be like space; become formless and invincible.
I’m learning just how true this is, more and more, each day both in body (Ki flow) and mind (Ki flow). Ki really is life if you look at it that way. Reiki is just simply acknowledging the sacredness inherent in life, both in ourselves and everywhere else (no difference). An honest method of inviting many blessings indeed.
Andrew Anders
“I was present this June at the meditation retreat at the Spirit of Transfiguration center in Cincinnati. This was my third experience working with Frans Stiene in person since 2011. Needless to say I was excited to see Frans and all the other amazing souls with whom I have experienced Shinpiden classes and meditation sessions over the years. Others have mentioned it and it merits repeating, it’s like gathering with family. It is our Reiki family! The opportunity to rekindle friendships and make new friends is an ever-present benefit of these gatherings.
I tried to enter this experience as a “blank piece of paper”, without any set expectations other than to learn, grow, expand and even laugh and cry with the flow. I experienced all those things and more, much of which I cannot put into comprehensible words although I carry them in my heart.
Frans is an extraordinary individual, teacher, guide and friend. I am continuously amazed at his energy level and how easily he appears to incorporate spiritual teachings in his everyday communications with us and the numerous classes and sessions with which he is involved. I have much gratitude for the opportunity to study and learn with Frans. He has and continues to “fill in the blanks” I encountered in my early days of Reiki training.
Blessings and gratitude to Zeynep and Sundar for “introducing” Frans to Cincinnati!
As I continue to reflect on our meditation experience last month, these are some of the thoughts that flow from my heart – “Oneness of kindred spirits, freedom to expand, the movement of many from different points meeting at the Center, effortless dancing in synchronized and harmonious flow”. As I drove away from the Transfiguration center the words of a song I remember from church – many, many years ago came back to me.
“There’s a sweet, sweet Spirit in this place.
. . . Without a doubt we’ll know that we have been revived, when we leave this place.”
The difference is when external forces and/or our ego influence us to leave “this place”, we know how to return to spaciousness and our True Self through practice.”
Denyce Peyton

You want to experience the fun of practicing together? Come join us on September 20th in our next play day ! Cincinnati Reiki practitioners will get together for another day of fun to learn, grow, share together!

Also, there will be a Shinpiden/Reiki Master level class in September 25-27 in Ann Arbor Michigan and we’re already booked for another Shinpiden class in Cincinnati in April 2016! 

Until then, keep practicing! J

Love & Light,
Zeynep


1 comment:

  1. Hi Zeynep, thank you so much and thank you Maria, Andrew, and Denyce.
    Love
    Frans

    ReplyDelete